Skip to main content

How to post to Blogger from your iPhone via email

So, my starting point was the old problem of the lack of copy and paste functionality on the iPhone. How on earth would one be able to post links to interesting web pages on one's iPhone without memorizing and typing back in the URLs? The answer comes via the use of email. So when you're on an interesting web page you can hit the plus button and there's a choice of 'Mail link to this page'. You can then craft an email that includes a link to that URL, along with any commentary, and send that off somewhere to an email address.

And blogging services such as iBloggin and Blogger have facilities that allow you to publish blog post via email. Here's the help page from Blogger:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=41452&topic=12461

Well, I set this up for this blog, but I had some confusing teething troubles. It seems this help page was not as helpful as it could have been...

1. When it tells you to keep the email address secret as anyone could post on your blog, that would lead one to believe one could send the email from any email address, wouldn't it? Well, I found that it only posts my email contents if I send the email from the email account belonging to the Google Account for that blogger identity. CORRECTION (24/Aug/08): It now seems like possibly it posts email contents from gMail addresses only, and maybe from any gMail address. As I learn more I will update this post... CORRECTION (29/Aug/08): It seems like all those .Mac emails I sent before eventually were accepted and started turning up as blog posts after a few days of delay. Now I'm very confused.

2. If you allow other authors to post on that blog, they will have to set up their own destination email address if they want to post to the blog via email.

I hope those two lessons will be useful to someone reading this and they will waste less time than I did in setting this up. Still, it was worth it for me in the end!

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selecting Full on this computer may result in degraded video playback

When I attempt to import Full 1920x1080 video into iMovie '08 on my MacBook, it tells me "Selecting Full on this computer may result in degraded video playback". It doesn't tell me, however, what I can do about it. Is it the CPU? The graphics card? RAM? The slower Firewire 400? Is there a list of Mac models that can support full 1080 resolution? Do I need to switch to Final Cut? There is a discussion on the Apple Support forums, but no answer yet...

Berkhamsted Multi-storey Car Park

Petition The premise seems to be that Berko needs more parking spaces, and that the traffic infrastructure is able to accommodate extra traffic. However, according to the council's own report , our largest car park only gets 73% full, and the Lower Kings Road already gets 93% congested at the weekday evening peak - so the traffic congestion problem is already worse than the car park utilisation, and they predict the traffic queues on Lower Kings Road will increase by about 30%. If you want to know the detail... Let's start with that first part: that Berko needs more parking spaces. Looking at the council's own Transport Assessment that they have submitted to support this planning application, it says that the railway car park gets only 73% full at its busiest hour in the week. So there are already a significant number of free spaces in Berko just a few minutes walk from the centre. And as for the Lower Kings Road car park, the report tells us this can get up to 97%