Skip to main content

Last day, first day

Well, today was my first day working at my new job. I was apprehensive of course, due to my nervousness at changing jobs. I spent 3 fabulous years at my old firm, and learned so much, and really became integral - part of the furniture. I am very sad to leave behind so many wonderful colleagues, who were (mostly) lovely people and very kind to me. If you, reader, are among that number then you'll know I would love you to remain in touch. I had a small but wonderful leaving meal on Thursday, and though it was a shame that not all of the people that wanted to come were able to, I'm sure we'll meet, and eat, again.
Thursday seems like a very long time ago, so back to today. Despite my aforementioned apprehension it was a very good day and I'm really excited about the new challenges that lie ahead of me. My new colleagues all seem to be very nice and welcoming. How I wish I could memorise all their names on the first day, but of course that is impossible. I'm sure I remember being just as bewildered by the vast array of new faces 3 years ago, and indeed 6 years ago when I started at the previous firm, so I'm sure I'll get to know all my new colleagues just as well.
Similar is the feeling of frustration I have that there is so much knowledge I have yet to learn before I can perform to my full potential in my new job. Again I can cast my mind back to 3 years ago, when there seemed to be so much going on at my firm that I couldn't begin to comprehend, but in the end I suppose I managed to learn a lot of what there was to know and more than I needed to know. Here's hoping that history will repeat itself. I'm very hopeful that it will, and that I will prove to surpass the expectations that my new employers have of me. Likewise, I am full of hope that I'm going to love my new job just as much as I did my last one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selecting Full on this computer may result in degraded video playback

When I attempt to import Full 1920x1080 video into iMovie '08 on my MacBook, it tells me "Selecting Full on this computer may result in degraded video playback". It doesn't tell me, however, what I can do about it. Is it the CPU? The graphics card? RAM? The slower Firewire 400? Is there a list of Mac models that can support full 1080 resolution? Do I need to switch to Final Cut? There is a discussion on the Apple Support forums, but no answer yet...

Berkhamsted Multi-storey Car Park

Petition The premise seems to be that Berko needs more parking spaces, and that the traffic infrastructure is able to accommodate extra traffic. However, according to the council's own report , our largest car park only gets 73% full, and the Lower Kings Road already gets 93% congested at the weekday evening peak - so the traffic congestion problem is already worse than the car park utilisation, and they predict the traffic queues on Lower Kings Road will increase by about 30%. If you want to know the detail... Let's start with that first part: that Berko needs more parking spaces. Looking at the council's own Transport Assessment that they have submitted to support this planning application, it says that the railway car park gets only 73% full at its busiest hour in the week. So there are already a significant number of free spaces in Berko just a few minutes walk from the centre. And as for the Lower Kings Road car park, the report tells us this can get up to 97%